i can't wait just like you can't wait / until we're out past familiar gates / those seven words shook the life back in / so let's just run 'til we lose our breath.

catalina by way of san diego and santa monica. in the reverse order.

it’s the 2nd to last stop.

sort of.

i still don’t have a plane ticket home. and i still don’t care. it seems better that way. and it’s not my problem anyhow.

they could ask me to drive back across the nation.

and i could say yes.

in a week’s time, i’ve devoured vegas, death valley, lone pine (as if there could never be two pines. and definitely not three), lake tahoe, reno, placerville, san francisco, santa cruz, los angeles (and all the bits and pieces that come with that), and san diego – with a pit stop in san clemente for homemade chicken soup and some family. family i haven’t seen in a decade or more, yet it kind of seemed like yesterday. that’s the good kind of family.

the week looked a lot like this:

deathvalley

and i looked a lot like this:

 driving

[always with a seatbelt on. safety first.]

and my world was summed up by this:

path

[which, ironically, was found on the inside of an elevator shaft. but true. oh so true]

i hit 2 bars named sierra gold in 2 different cities. both with a closing time of never.

i sat inside a 400 year old general store in the middle of nowhere (also known as one of the greatest small towns this country has ever known. or, perhaps, not known) and wondered to myself not only how did i get here, but why did it take me this long?

i visited the sea lions at pier 39 who have it way better than the rest of us, stacked on top of each other in a lumpy pile, and wondered if they would like it if i pet them or if they would rather dismember my body limb by limb.

i had my life changed in 3 seconds by this:

tahoe

and had my life changed again only days later by this:

087

2 words: lamb skewers. it’s like crack on a stick.

that is if i did crack and enjoyed it. then it would probably be something like that.

(hana zen. san francisco. go there, if you know what’s good for you. in fact, do just about anything in san francisco, if you know what’s good for you. and then do it all over again.)

i walked around in the pouring rain. and liked it.

i laughed a lot.

i even cried.

i rolled the windows down and sang my favorite song at the tip top of my lungs and then got pulled over by a cop because said song and said singing turned my rental car into a rocketship. apparently. allegedly.

and then i was told i could expense my speeding tickets to the company.

which.is.just.awesome.

i picked 2 cities i want to move to and mentally made plans to move there as soon as i conclude this adventure.

and i meant it.

or mean it.

i took a bath with a miniature whale.

i drank overpriced vodka and ate overpriced food and had intellectual conversations about the art of filmmaking. with strangers.

i stared at this for a really long time and solved all of my problems. and probably most of yours, too:

malibu

i had my heart stolen by wonder.

and restored by newness.

i did a lot of things, saw a lot of things, thought about a lot of things that i will keep only for myself.

because they are better that way.

because they are mine.

and then i looked back through my photos just so that i could know for certain that it was all real.

5 comments:

  1. Angie said...
  2. I LOVE you and this post more than any of my dumb words could ever say!! BEST BLOG POST EVERRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That was really beautiful, and informative, and soul piercing all in one.
    I'm so incredibly psyched for you that you have lived and experienced this trip. And that your company is paying for a speeding ticket. That is amazing. Beyond amazing.
    Only amazing things for the most amazing Marcy.
    xo

  3. callie burnette said...
  4. LOVE THIS POST!!!!! and love you, natch. love that the whale made the list. xo

  5. jessika said...
  6. i TOTALLY agree with these gals....LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!
    p.s. you're the good kind of family, too...love you!!

  7. Molly Marler said...
  8. OHHHHH My Darling. This makes my heart SWELL. Also makes the tears WELL. And no more rhymes, I swear. But wow. I LOVE being able to tag along on your adventures. Thank you for sharing your world with us; we love you and you are always, always in our thoughts. Always. Have I used amazing yet?! Because... you are. :) I LOVE YOU!!!

  9. Marcy said...
  10. I love you girls. And I love your love for my ranting about things I sometimes wonder of anyone actually cares about. I wish I had you all in my pocket.

Post a Comment