i can't wait just like you can't wait / until we're out past familiar gates / those seven words shook the life back in / so let's just run 'til we lose our breath.

killing time.

Posted: Mar 20, 2010 | Posted by marcy |

i never wanted a nine.to.five. job.

still don't.

but the trade off is this:

it's 1:51am and i'm killing time. i just got home from an evening out and now must kill some time. could be sleeping. but i'm killing time. killing time while my partner (in business, not in life) travels home from a meeting, does a bunch of math in his head, and with the help of trusty excel, and contemplates figures that he will later recruit my help with.

now if you remember me commenting a bit back on whether or not this whole hollywood game is a bunch of glitz and glamour -- to which i rhetorically answered, it.is.absolutely.not. -- then you will likely agree with me as i reitorate that point right now.

while i don't have the obligation of walking in an office door at 9:00am every monday and walking out at 5:00pm every friday, i do get the pleasure of placing matchsticks in my eye sockets at almost 2:00am on a saturday morning waiting for someone to call me asking me to pour myself over spreadsheets and business plans while all my nine-to-fivers are either knee-walking at the bar or, even more appealing, deeply sleeping.

it is either aging me or keeping me young. and i haven't decided which. but one way or the other, it is always keeping me on my toes. absolutely nothing about this line of work is predictable. so if you are the type who needs everything in specific order and laid out in a tightly wound life plan, then this is not the journey you should travel.

however, if you like last minute late night calls that may not end until the sun comes up - or if you fancy calls telling you to get on a plane for St. Louis in the morning and, oh-by-the-way, to pack a bag for 7 weeks, when you thought you were just going to walk downstairs, make some toast, sit on your couch, and catch up on your DVR recordings, then CALL ME. i can always use a good assistant.

(by the way . . . it's now 2:43am. done killing time. now must go work. enjoy your bar, or your sleep, or whatever it is you are doing that i wish i was doing but am not.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment